Friday, June 3, 2011

Chapter 15: Weightless

Darius is one of the more popular kids in school, and even his relationship with the class 'weirdo' hasn't tarnished his reputation one bit. The other kids wonder,  as Autumn often does herself, what he sees in her, why he would date her when all the other pretty, popular girls would kill to be with him, but they don't mock him for his choice they way they mock Autumn just for being herself.

But as much as the others admire him and seek out his friendship, Autumn knows he's not really one of them. Like her, he's been touched by difference, but his weirdness expresses itself through an artistic vision the normals are attracted to like moths to flame, even if they don't quite understand it. Autumn's weirdness simply repels them.

"Prom is this Friday," Darius says, embracing Autumn before they get on the bus home.

"You don't seriously want to go to the prom," Autumn sneers, "We are so past this high school crap."

"Of course I want to go. I want to show you off to the whole school."

"You know you're the only person in the world who thinks I'm something to be proud of, right? Everyone else just sees a freak on your arm."

Darius knows what other people think, his friends have often brought this point up with them, and he tells Autumn what he tells them, "Then they're blind to real beauty. What everyone else thinks doesn't matter.  Autumn Enmity, will you do me the honor of going to the prom with me?"

Autumn doesn't really want to go, but she won't deny Darius the pleasure, if he's so intent on it, "I'd go anywhere with you."

Darius has joined the school art club, though his talent is far beyond the high school level. He's already selling his paintings and sculptures to the local galleries.

Meadow is too busy presiding over her court to engage in trivial tasks like homework.

As graduation approaches, Autumn and Darius spend their evenings stargazing and making plans for their future together.

The art club puts on a show for its members, and Darius wins a trophy for his work. Gibson couldn't be more proud.

Darius is far more focused on his art than on homework, looking forward to the day when school is behind him forever. Autumn studies hard, planning to pursue a medical career when she graduates.

Meadow receives the surprising news that her best friend Fred Martin has leveled up to teenager.

Jasmin is surprised to hear the teenagers talking about marriage and babies over homework.

"Did you know they're engaged?" Jasmin asks Gibson when she gets him alone later, "I can't believe my daughter is just throwing her future away like that!"

"Are you saying my son isn't good enough for her?" Gibson asks.

"No," Jasmin sighs, "It's not who she want to marry, it's that they're so young to be making a decision like that. You can't be happy about this, can you?"

"It's a little shocking, sure, " Gibson admits, "But if they love each other, I'm happy for them. I was barely out of high school myself when Sherrie was born, and Darius came along right after. I never made any decisions about family and marriage at all, I just let it happen. At least they are making plans for themselves."

Jasmin frowns. Her life path wasn't much different from Gibson's in that respect.


Jasmin confronts her daughter in the morning before school. "You can't be serious about tying yourself down so young," she says, "You have your whole future ahead of you."

"Tied down is exactly what I want," Autumn answers, "Securely moored and attached to a family. I don't want this drifting around aimlessly lifestyle you had."

It's hard for Jasmin to grasp, the security her daughter speaks of sounds like confinement, prison. But her brother Parker felt the same way as Autumn, and his early marriage remains solid and happy.
"I want you to be happy," Jasmin says, "Just make sure it's what you really want."

Prom night arrives at last, and Darius is giddy and trembling as he hands Autumn the bouquet he bought for her.

The couple get dressed and head back to the school for the big dance.

And they come exhausted, just before curfew.

"I had a better time than I expected," Autumn admits with a sigh. Being with Darius always does take her breath away.

"We're done with school now forever," Darius reminds her, "Just two more days until our wedding."




___________________________________________________________
Challenge Notes:
New Generations features like afterschool school activities, filed trips and the prom are great, but no so photoworthy. Since they happen in rabbitholes, all you get are pictures entering or leaving the event. But you get cool souvenirs and prizes, woot!

Darius and Autumn were crowned king and queen of the prom. I'm guessing your playable will always get that honor no matter what, so I didn't bring that into the story. Generation after generation of that will get dull.

Darius also achieved a LTW. I use Twallan's mod that allows wishes that haven't been promised to be fulfilled if you meet the criteria, and sadly he had the Super Popular LTW sitting there. He'd been getting that repeatedly for days, and I'd right-click it away every time I saw it. But it must have appeared without my knowledge, and got fulfilled by him meeting a stupid paparazzi in the front yard. With his Charisma skill, everyone he meets is instantly friends. Which is why I never choose the Super Popular LTW, it's too easy. So, boo, that totally sucked. But I''ll live with it.
 Darius ages up on Saturday, and Autumn on Sunday. I'll have Autumn take the cake in the morning, then have a wedding party Sunday afternoon.

2 comments:

  1. Great update! I have yet to experience teenagers, since I was able to immediately play my legacy family. So far no field trips or after school activities because of weekends and such, boo.

    Where did Meadow's outfit come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a 'Preside over Royal Court' interaction for kids, and they change into that outfit. I don't know how to start that one actually, lol, Meadow does that any time I leave her without an action in queue. Maybe try clicking on a chair, that's the object in her queue when she's doing it, and it seems to require standing on one. She does it on dining chairs and desk chairs.
    Field trip souvenirs are awesome. I won't spoil it for you further. :D

    ReplyDelete