Friday, June 24, 2011

Chapter 27: The Banshee Banisher


Most of the time, Darryl doesn't know what his own paintings mean, and often questions his sanity when he's finished with them. But he's the darling of the art world, and his work is hailed as masterpieces, so he must be doing something right.

Rex joins the family for Tamsin's birthday cake.

"I wish MorcuCrop sill had a department for paranormal research," Tamsin comments to her mother, 'I'm just not interested in the work they do there."

Corinne agrees, she left MorcuCrop herself because she was dissatisfied with their limited scope of endeavors. 

"Do you think we go go somewhere....private?" Rex asks quietly when the cake is finished.

"I was thinking the same thing," Tamsin smiles and takes his hand.

"Is this your room?" Rex asks, "It's very...pink."

"This was my grandparents' room, but I'm taking it over now. My grandfather loved pink. I'll be redecorating it."

"That's a rainbow butterfly, they're extraordinarily unusual," he remarks, looking around the room nervously.

"So was my grandmother. She collected insects."

"But you didn't get me alone so we could talk about interior decor and bug collecting, I hope," Tamsin continues.

"No, I had an ulterior motive," Rex admits.

He drops to his knee and pulls out a ring, presenting her with  a ring set with a diamond he found himself.

"Will you marry me, Tam?"

Tamsin never actually verbally agrees, but she gasps, jumps around and lets him place the ring on finger, and then leaps into his arms. "I'll take that as a yes," Rex laughs.

They'll have a wedding shortly after graduation, and in the meantime, Rex moves in to the Enmity house.

Tamsin and Rex graduate together. She was voted most likely to save the world.

And he was voted most likely to write a bestselling novel.
Tamsin and Rex decided to graduate wearing the stupidest hats they could find.

Darryl's little girl has grown up and is getting married soon.

Surely, that's good cause to freak out.

After graduation, Tamsin received a strange call. The voice was obviously manipulated to disguise the speaker, who would only identify herself as 'someone interested in your research'.

"Come to the MorcuCrop building at dawn tomorrow, before normal work hours. I have something which might be of interest to you," the voice said, and then quickly disconnected.

Was she going to get access to the research that made Rory into a 'living' ghost? Tamsin could only find out if she did as the voice asked, so at dawn the next day she drove herself out to the MorcuCrop building. The door opened for her at her approach, and the voice guided her through the building through the PA system. It eventually led her to a dark office where a shadowed figure waited for her behind a desk. On top of the desk rested a strange device, vaguely reminiscent of one her mother's harvesters.

"The unfortunate incident with Mr. McGreggor put MorcuCrop in a difficult position," the shadowy figure said, "We had to scrap all work in the paranormal field to save face. But we've never lost interest in paranormal research. We are not in a position to offer you regular employment, Ms. Enmity, but Morucrop would like to offer you this," the figure gestured at the odd device on the desk, "Our Banshee Banisher. Use it to capture the spirits of the restless dead. Conduct whatever research you like with it. We will pay you for any spirits you bring to us, and a weekly stipend to fund your research. You will not be an official employee of MorcuCrop, and we will not be liable for any...mishaps...that should occur."

"Spirits?" Tamsin asks. Except for Rory, she's never seen any restless dead. "Where would I find spirits to research?"

"Once you you have the Banshee Banisher, they'll come," the shadow says.

It all seems a little suspicious, but Tamsin can't refuse. Anything she can use to help Rory is a good thing. And MorcuCrop pretty much washed their hands of her, so it's not like she'd be beholden to them.
"I'll do it," Tamsin agrees.

"Excellent," the shadow says.

 Tamsin leaves the building just as the 'real' scientists start filing in to work.

When she gets home she shows off her new toy to Rex. "I don't really know how it works yet," she says, "I guess I'll have to find some of these spirits to try it out on."

Rex is thrilled for his fiancee. At least she's found something to do with herself. He'd always planned on being a writer, but he's been spending hours staring at a blank monitor with nothing to write.


Taken by one of her daredevil urges, Tamsin insisted they celebrate their graduation, engagement and her new freelance employment by getting tattoos. Rex is game, so they drive down to Just Dye to get inked. The tattooing device is far more high tech than Tamsin had anticipated.

She gets a butterfly, a symbol of the soul and rebirth, in purple and turquoise, her and REx's favorite colors.

Rex gets a spade, reversed and inked in red, like a heart. It doesn't really mean anything, he just thought it looked cool.

As soon as the sun started to set that evening, Tamsin got a call asking for her services. How did anyone know she was now in business as a 'ghost hunter'? She didn't put an ad in the paper or anything.
However word got around, Tamsin is now in business, and quickly figures out how to work the banshee banisher.

Amazingly, she has two haunted houses to deal with on her first night, though she'd never heard of such a haunting growing up in this town. The shadowy figure was right, just having the device in her possession seems to attract these spirits.

Late at night she crawls into bed with Rex, and dreams of catching spirits with a magical net.

Rex's writer's block manifests in his nightmare as a frightening monster that immobilizes him.

The next day is their wedding.

Tamsin invited Rory. The old ghost stops before the newly erected shrine to Darius and Autumn. The teens in the prom photo, the remains in the urns, his friend Carey's grandson and his wife, they were both born long after Rory died, they lived full, long lives and now are gone, but he remains.

Tamsin infprms her ghostly friend that she hasn't made any progress yet, but she has high hopes of finding a 'cure' for him very soon. She doesn't want to tell him about the banshee banisher and the experiments she plans to conduct with the spirits she's harvested, not sure how a ghost would feel about that sort of thing.
Rory hasn't pinned any real hope to her research, believing it to be futile, but he enjoys the girl's enthusiasm, so he lets her carry on. And he wonders if he could commission Darryl to paint one of those cool electric zebra paintings for him.

Before the ceremony, Tamsin spends some time with her father-in-law to be, Evan Greenman.

The couple head out to the arch and wait for their guests to gather.

Tomas shows up a little late.

Though chairs have been set up, the geusts on the whole prefer to stand. From left to right: Tomas the simbot, Rex's cousin Erika, Julian and Julia, Evan Greenman and mother of the bride Corinne, now and elder.

A goldfish jumps out of the water to se what all the commotion is about.

The ceremony ends with a kiss.

And then everyone gathers for cake.

Corinne catches up with her eldest daughter Caroline, who recently gave birth to a son, Lucius Moriarty.

The guests disperse around the house, entertaining themselves with video games and books.

The bride and groom slip away to their newly redecorated bedroom to celebrate in private.


____________________________________________________

Challenge Notes.
Generation 5 is officially begun. Recap of the roll: Couple, 2 kids. Primary career Ghost Hunter, secondary Collector. My goal is Awesome and my misc. fun is Tattoo Addict.
So, Tamsin has started her ghost hunting career. SP progression put Rex in the writing career before he moved (he had the LTW to be a professional author). I still haven't made him quit. He hasn't made any money from it, so it's not like it matters what he's registered as. I saved up his happiness points and just changed his LTW to Perfect Mind, Perfect Body (max Logic and Athletic) so he has a chance of fulfilling it. Then I'll get around to having him quit his career. If he gets any Opportunities to write books, I'll let him, I think. 
I've already got the Awesome done, but it's not yet revealed in this update. Next update. :D
As for Tattoo Addict, I haven't decided yet who it's going to be. They both got one, so I have a sim week to decide who will get more. Tamsin is Brave and a Daredevil, so it fits her personality. But Rex is going to be an obsessive collector, so I could totally see him obsessively collecting body art along with gems, metals and insects, lol.
Corinne has reached level 9 of the Inventor career, and I still hope to reach level 10.


11 comments:

  1. Aaaaw Rex and Tamsin are so cute together. I love the story you're making for them, and I can't wait to read about their "awesome".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I might register my future non-career people as something, just so they'll not get constant wishes to join careers. I remember it was really annoying with Jazz. Even as an elder, he'd suddenly wake up and want to be a doctor.

    I guess Jazz was kind of crazy anyway.

    I love the picture of Tomas flying in. <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, thanks, guys! I wasn't sure anyone would see my updates until MTS comes back up.
    I had the same issue with Gibson, he'd roll wishes several times a day to get this or that job. And the older he got, the crazier his job wishes would get, stuff unrelated to his skills & traits.
    For Rex, if he rolls an opportunity to write a book & I accept, he'll have to quit because getting promotions in the career brings in awards cash. But otherwise, I'm keeping him in it for now just to not have the job wishes.

    Okay, so Becky, I started building a house for you. I started on the 30x30 lot, but you'll be left with little yard space, so I'm thinking of starting over on the 40x40. I'm aiming for a mid-price range that you should be able to afford by gen 2 or 3.
    There are 2 pieces of CC I'd like to use in your house. One is a counter/cabinet set by Plasticbox at MTS. It's called 'Simple Kitchen'. It's really simply designed and cheap kitchen counter; it helps keep building costs down an fits in with any kind of design style because it's so, well, simple.
    MTS is down, but you can see this counter in the kitchen of Carey & Foster's first two houses. Of course theirs was red & black, I'd be doing a different color scheme for you.
    The second piece is a tub/shower combo by Huge Lunatic (again, on MTS). It's an inexpensive (but no cheap shower moodlet) bathtub and shower with a working shower curtain. It's backless so it's easily built into a bathroom, and it looks like every bathtub & shower I've ever had in places I've lived. Unlike the EA thing, lol.
    You can see Corinne repairing one on her wedding day in my blog.
    So let me know if this CC is ok, or I can build without.

    ReplyDelete
  4. More yard space is probably infinitely better than less, because inevitably I'll have a gardener, and I also love clogging the place up with plants. <3 I can't look at the CC right now because I'm in a rush to get somewhere, but I'm sure it's fine. I'll download it when MTS is back up. ;)

    PS Rex is very cute. I like his nose.

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Lucius Moriarty"

    *runs away from future Death Eater* You have to make him EVIL :)

    With one of Twallan's career mods, there's a "job" you can get where you're unemployed without all the pain in the rear job rolls. I forget what it's called though :P

    I really like the tattoos, are you going to make them both Tattoo Addicts?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, what is this Death Eater thing, anyway? I don't know what that is.

    I might look into twallan's career mod. I don't really bother with custom careers, so I never really bothered with it.

    I'm not going to make them both tattoo addicts, but I haven't decided yet which one it will be. I still have a few Sim days before the next weekly tattoo day to decide.
    I wish there were better tattoos, I hate most of them. I should go look for some good CC tattoos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Death Eater = Harry Potter. Go read it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Potter is a little young for me.

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I remember correctly, Lucius is the father of Harry Potter's nemesis, the bratty blond kid, and in the movies is depicted with long flowy hair like some kind of alternate dimension evil Legolas. Lucius comes from a storied bloodline of blond bad guy wizards, which explains why his parents would give him a name reminiscent of Lucifer.

    'Cause, they're the bad guys, and they know they're the bad guys, and they enjoy being the bad guys? So they're going to name their kids Lucius and Evilla and stuff and then laugh when their evil plot takes everyone by total surprise.

    And the Death Eaters are like the KKK of that universe or something. They have some kind of plot to put noseless Hitler-wizard in charge (???), but Harry foils their plans with the power of love (??????). And then Harry comes back to life but his parents are still dead, just like Batman's.

    ...I never actually read the books either. D=

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOL, well, I love your recap, that was hilarious.
    I don't know much, or anything really, about Potter world, but the little I have heard all had this Dickensian "You know that one is evil because his name is Evil McEvil" vibe. And I really loathe Dickens, lol.
    And, when I first saw Potter, my first thought he was kind of a cleaned up for kids version of Tim Hunter in Gaiman's Books of Magic, which I loved. Sp that kind of turned me off.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Books_of_Magic

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been assured by some English professors (including a hardcore fan of Harry Potter!) that the writing itself is not a good example of fine literature.

    But what really stands out in the Harry Potter universe is how fleshed out the continuity is. It's an expansive world, and that's exactly the kind of detail that initially draws people into fiction's possibilities. So I can really respect it for that.

    When I was a kid I was into the Star Wars novels while my classmates were into Harry Potter. I refused to read the Potter books because they were "popular"... and surely, anything that other kids liked was not for me. Now I doubt I could ever read them, for exactly the same reasons I just can't read Star Wars novels anymore.

    Even though at one point in my life I obsessed over every word in every sentence. ='(

    ReplyDelete