Monday, June 13, 2011

Chapter 21: Awkward Situation

Darryl becomes a man.

Being a self-employed artist and the heir of a very wealthy family means he has free time to spend at the Sara Roth Museum of Art, seeking inspiration from the ancient treasures on display. While perusing the collection of vases and carvings from China, Darryl notices an old friend from high school coming into the gallery.

"Corinne Moriarty!" he exclaims in greeting, "Or is it Goolsby now? I haven't seen you in ages. How have you been?" Corrine is a little older than Darryl and graduated high school ahead of him, and he hasn't heard much of her since, except that she married her high school sweetheart Raymond Goolsby.

"It was Goolsby until today," Corinne answers, "I was just at my lawyers, signing the divorce papers. So I'm a Moriarty again."

"I'm so sorry thing didn't work out with you and Raymond," Darryl says, taking her hands in his, "I've got free time if you need someone to talk to, or anything."

"I appreciate that, Darryl," Corinne says, "Raymond and I were falling apart before we got married; we only went through with it because I was pregnant, but even having Caroline didn't make things better. If anything, it got worse, we fought more, he started spending nights out...Well, I don't want to dump all this on you. He's your uncle after all."

"We never were close with Goolsby side of the family," Darryl says, "I know you better than I ever knew Raymond."

"Why don't we get a drink?" Darryl suggests. Corinne blushes and looks away, and Darryl feels like an idiot, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't be so forward, when you're barely even divorced. Dating is probably the last thing on your mind right now."


"Actually, it's nice to be asked, Darryl," she answers,  "I haven't felt attractive or romantic in too long. I would love to have a drink with you, if you can stand my company right now."

The night club Cathedral is right next to the museum, so Darryl takes Corinne there to dance and have a few drinks. The entire block of property facing the beach is owned by the Roth family.

Corinne doesn't want to sour the mood with bitter talk about her ex-husband, so the couple just dance, and dancing inevitable leads to kissing. After a long passionate kiss, Corinne pulls away hesitantly, "I think I could use a drink now," she says breathlessly.

Once the sun sets, night falls swiftly. Darryl buys Corinne a drink. She looks at him sadly. "I was supposed to look for a house for me and Caroline," she sighs, "I didn't mean to stay out with you so long."

"If you need a place to stay until you find the right house, you can always crash at my place. Caroline too, of course."

"No, I couldn't," she says, shaking her head, "It would just be too awkward. We might be starting something really good, I don't want to ruin it before it gets going."

"Will you be okay staying at your old place tonight?" Darryl asks.

Corinne nods, "I'll be fine. Raymond can handle another night sleeping on the couch."

The next morning Corinne is at Darryl's doorstep, her daughter Caroline in tow. "When I got home last night, he had Mayra Hendrix with him. In my bed," she sobs, throwing herself into Darryl's arms, "We had a huge fight, worse than ever before. I don't want to leave Caroline with him, and I don't want to stay another night in that house. Can I leave Caroline while I go house hunting? And maybe stay a night or two until I find a place?"

"Of course," Darryl answers, 'My father and I will be here all day, we can take care of Caroline. And we've got a spare bed for you, and a nursery for Caroline to stay in. Everything will be fine, you can stay as long as you need."

Corinne sighs in relief, "Thank you so much. I didn't have anyone else to turn to. I thought about asking the Wattson's for help, but that's really a last resort. They cut us off and never speak to us."

Corinne's family history is more bizarre than the Enmity's. Jamieson Moriarty and Sherlock Speeking were lovers once, but they were polar opposites morally, and worked on opposite sides of the law, and the lovers became arch-nemeses. Sherlock later took up with Aloysius Wattson, and together they adopted several children, including Corinne's mother, Jacklyn Wattson. Moriarty adopted a son, Gustavo, shortly before he died. And though the boy never took part in Moriarty's evil or criminal behavior, the Speekings and Wattsons snubbed him as they did his adoptive father. When Jacklyn Wattson married Gustavo Moriarty, they cut her out of the family. "If you take the name Moriarty," they said, "You take his shame."

Jacklyn andGustave, Corinne's parents, were both deceased, and she had no other family in this town but the remaining Wattsons who still would not acknowledge her existence. Turning to them for help would likely produce nothing but more scorn.

Darius is more than happy to have young Caroline in his care for the day.

Julia comes home from school in an angry mood.

"What did you do to your hair?" Darryl asks as he sits down to lunch.

"Shut up," she answers, sulky.

Corinne comes in after being out all day house hunting.

"How did it go?" Darryl asks.

"Not too well," she answers, "The housing market it tough these days. And I got distracted by the junkyard."

"Junkyard?"

Corinne blushes, "I collect scrap and make things from it. I'm trying to find a house large enough for me to have a studio to work in, but I haven't found one."

"We have room in our studio," Darryl offers, "You can set up a worktable with us if you want."

Not content to let his tiny guest sleep in the same old crib he spent his first days in, and in which he raised his own children, Darius has bought new nursery furniture and redecorated the room for Caroline.

"I have a feeling you'll be staying here more than few days," he whispers conspiratorially to the toddler.

Since he became an adult, Darryl has moved into his grandparents' old room, and Corinne was offered his old room to stay in. But as he's getting ready for bed, she comes into his room.

"Is everything all right?" Darryl asks, "Do you need anything?"

"I do need something, yes," she says, grabbing him into and embrace.

"You aren't worried this will get awkward?" Darryl says, hesitant, "I don't want you to feel like you're obligated to me in any way..."

"I've been thinking about you all day," she says, taking off her clothes and getting into bed with him, "You've been so sweet to me, and I don't want to be alone tonight when I could be with you instead."

Corinne set up a worktable in the family's studio the next morning. Engrossed in her work, she forgot about her need to look for a new house for herself.

She created a new toy for Caroline out of the scrap. She finds her daughter with Darius, busy learning to talk.

Darryl's family have given Caroline attention and affection, and have provided her with the best educational toys. It's true that Caroline is a blood relative to Autumn Enmity, the daughter of her half-brother, but Corinne doesn't think that matters to them. They're just naturally welcoming and gracious, and Corinne doesn't look forward to pulling Caroline out of such a nurturing environment.

After she settles Caroline into her crib for the night, Corinne finds Darryl still at work on his painting. Like her, he gets absorbed in his work and forgets the passing of time.

"Hey," she says softly, getting his attention, "It's getting late, and I was thinking about heading to bed..." She wishes it wasn't this awkward; she spent last night with him, but doesn't know if she's got an open invitation to his bed, or if she's bunking upstairs tonight.

"With me?" he asks, not daring to look at her, not sure where they stand, lovers, or host and guest.

"I'd like that, yes," she says nervously, "If you don't mind...."

Darryl turns to her now, "This is awkward, isn't it?" he laughs, "I hope we can get past this and just be together." He takes her hand and they walk together to his bedroom.

Julia dyed her hair while in a rebellious mood, but after she calms down, she decides the color suits her, and dyes her eyebrows to match.

___________________________________________________

Challenge Notes:
Generation 4 begins. My goals are Step Children, 2 kids (I'll have one step child and one biological) primary career Artist, secondary is Inventor. The goal is Fulfilled and the Misc. Fun is Half-siblings.

All of Gen 3's goals are complete.

Having Twallan's master controller really helped in my search for a girl for Darryl, with one kid, not too old, and with somewhat decent traits for the rolled career. I was calling up stats on all the women in town, lol. Corinne has Handy, Good, Unlucky, Artistic and Childish. The handy works for inventing, artistic she shares with Darryl. I also like Childish for inventors, though it has no effect on the skill. The toys and some of the widgets just seem suited to being created by a childish Sim.
She's a much better choice than Jolene Dodger, Darryl's prom date, who doesn't have a child yet anyway.

Thanks to ebec for asking me for a pic of Julia in Autum's hair color. I liked it so much I decided to keep it that way.

8 comments:

  1. Julia's hair looks great on her! I always hesitate to change my sims hair colour since most of my colours are custom and I don't want to accidentally lose them. (And pressing the "save" button takes too much effort).

    I'm used to so much drama and sadness is these legacies. I keep expecting the line "Corinne knows Darryl will do anything for her and plans to milk him for every penny he has". I'm glad this is going to be a happy generation.

    ... Its going to be a happy generation, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very sweet chapter. I loved the scenes with Darius and the toddler.

    Anad Corrine is very pretty. Did you have to use MC to change her parents (the adopted children) into non-vanilla, or did Twallan's updated mod do that for you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. And I also love how much Darryl looks like his mom. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. With Twallan's mod, all the adopted kids are non-vanilla now. Yay.
    I'm getting a lot of adopted kids in this neighborhood. I've been getting more of the situation you described you described in your town, where you get pop ups of people flirting and dating, but not so much marrying any pregnancies. Then when they become elders, they adopt, lol.
    Corinne has Caliente eyes; I have a few descendants of the Caliente sisters in Barnacle Bay saved in my bin, and I can tell one of her parents got those genes.

    I love how much Darryl looks like his mom, too. :D I love the way Foster's high, prominent cheekbones keep getting passed down.

    And I do think this will be a mostly happy generation, Cece. It's very rare for me write a gold digger character, I'm definitely not going that route. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loooooooove Julia's hair :) And I really like Corinne, though I'm usually not a fan of blond hair with darker skin because it's not usually natural :P I think Darryl looks really cool, especially with the cheekbones and orange brown eyes :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL, my legacy is in a town with blue-skinned vampires, the green-skinned Greenman family, and my founder had purple hair, so I'm not too hung up on what's 'natural'.
    I love Corinne's hair color, it's such a nice golden color. I hope that passes onto the kid she and Darryl will eventually have. That or her daughter's red hair, which I believe is inherited from Gustavo Moriarty.
    Julia does look better in her mother's haircolor, it suits her much better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I, too, love the scenes with Darius and Caroline, such a sweet guy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It actually weirds me out that adopted children inherit things from non-biological grandparents. If Fischer's children had not been generation 10 (and my first time experiencing adoption), I might have just moved in some kids and treated them as his daughters, even though they wouldn't appear on the family trees.

    ReplyDelete