Friday, June 10, 2011

Chapter 19: Kompensator

Julia inherited her mother's genius and keen interest in science.

Autumn is reminded of her own childhood in this house; Darryl is the artistic one like Darius, Julia the bookish one like herself, and Julian is like Meadow, king of his own imaginary realm.

Gibson finds a recent immigrant to town who hasn't yet heard about his genius granddaughter and brilliantly talented grandsons.

"Grandpa! What are you doing? Stop!"

"You've got your mother's high cheekbones, yes you do!"

Jasmin may be retired, but she still rocks.

And rolls.

There are more bedrooms on the second floor than there are children to fill them, so one is made into a playroom.

Though she works long hours and covers frequent emergencies at the hospital, Autumn does have days off. This day she spent mostly alone while Darius worked on his latest masterpiece. Unable to stand it any longer, Autumn burst into the studio and demanded his attention.

"I'm sorry, love," he says, "I get lost in the stone sometimes. Never hesitate to pull me out. I always have time for you."

She got to him just in time; her beeper goes off just as they're falling asleep after making love.

When the kids are home, Darius rarely has the studio to himself. Like him, they get lost in their obsessions.

Darryl becomes a teen.

Which totally freaks him out.

Autumn teaches her oldest how to drive in her VFN Kompensator, a gift from Darius, who seems to be suffering a mid-life crisis, which is causing him to throw cash around on ridiculous, expensive items. Luckily his success as a sculptor means they can afford any frivolity he desires.

"I'm thinking of asking Joline Dodger to the prom," Darryl tells her.

"Taryn Dodger's daughter?" Autumn asks, remembering how in high school Taryn had tried to get Darius, and how much grief she gave Autumn.

"You know her?" Darryl asks.

"Oh, yes, I know her," Autumn says, unable to keep the bitterness from her voice.

"And you obviously don't like her. But it has nothing to do with Joline, right?"

"Of course not," Autumn sighs, knowing it's unfair to hate a girl she doesn't even know because of the bad blood between herself and her mother, "Are you serious about this girl?"

"What? No, Mom. Right now we're just friends," Darryl answers, "She just broke up with Nathanael. I need a date for the prom. We'll see how it goes from there."

Autumn is torn between her relief at not having contemplate having to share grandchildren with Taryn Dodger in the near future, and a bit of regret that her son doesn't take after Darius when it comes to romance. As much as she loves her mother and Gibson, she doesn't want their carefree attitude toward love and commitment rubbing off on her children.

Darius has bought two new cars, but never drives them. He's too busy making art to actually use anything he purchases on his whims.

The twins have their birthday. Julia has her mother's genius, but she's got a wild streak as well.

Julian has little in common with either of his parents, but has many of his grandfather Gibson's features, as well as his love of the outdoors. Like his twin, he's also a bit of daredevil.


________________________________________________________

Challenge notes:
I've been rolling random traits, and it's hard to remember sometimes what they are. Darryl has Artistic, Easily Impressed, Perfectionist, and I gave him Neurotic as a teen, for the way the neurotic trait affects paintings. I almost gave that trait to Darius as an adult, but opted for Hopeless Romantic because he really needed that for his personality to feel complete. Also, Darius doesn't paint as much as he sculpts, so I didn't need the trait enhancement to his paintings as much.
Julia has Genius, Excitable, I forget her child trait, and she rolled Daredevil as a teen.
Julian has Brave, Loves the Outdoors, I forget the child trait (it may be Friendly) and also rolled Daredevil as a teen.

I'm really happy about how much Darryl looks like Autumn. His favorite color is grey.

Autumn has become a world renowned surgeon. Darius is level 9 in the sculptor career, and has maxed that skill.

I had a very strange glitch that I hope doesn't ruin this legacy. Gibson died. And as the Reaper appeared, the family members who were at home at the time errored out, and Grim disappeared. Gibson came back to life, and his age was set back to the beginning of the elder stage. He did not have a death flower.
So, I used master controller to set his age to where it was when he 'died', but he hasn't died again. I do know that other elders die in my neighborhood without erroring, so I hope it's a one time thing and that the next time Grim comes it will go as it should.

6 comments:

  1. Obviously Gibson just doesn't want to die!

    The pics this time are beautiful. Once again I'm impressed by the design of the house.

    Where does Julia's teen hair come from? I don't recall seeing it before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, I don't want Gibson to die either. But I do need to make room for future generations sooner or later. There's seven in the house now.

    I like that house because I can go all mid-century modern with it. The McDermott/Carlton house was older and not modern friendly. Not that I prefer modern, I usually build Craftsman style houses. But every once in awhile I like to go all modern, and that's what I'm doing now.

    Julie's hair is from the Store. There''s a new set of casual clothes and hair this month that I could not resist buying. Meadow's hair is from that set as well, as was the top she wears as a YA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would advice you to kill Gibson using the Master Controller. It seems that the EP is full of big issues that can even cause the game to be totally unplayable... Grim reaper's issue is one between others so you should rather use MC to avoid another error message on your family (which is much more annoying)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loooooove Julia, could you take a snapshot of her with Autumn's hair colour? (just so I can see it :P)
    And I agree with Mimi that MC Force Kill (or total annihilation if that doesn't work :() is the best choice for that glitch.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd see if it happens again before using MC on him. But maybe I'm too nice to my sims.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've noticed since then that anyone who comes in contact with Gibson starts mourning him like he's still in the process of dying.
    I have resolved the issue, but I'll save the details for the next update.

    ReplyDelete