Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Chapter 26: Pseudoscience

Tamsin meant what she said when she promised Rory McGreggor she would find a way to help him. The only problem is none of her research has provided even a hint of a clue as to how to give life back to a ghost. She couldn't even find anything published about the experiment that put Rory into the half-life, half-death limbo he now resides in. So Tamsin turns to the one person close to her that currently works in the MorcuCrop Science Facility, her half-sister Caroline.

"Rory McGreggor is pretty much a taboo subject at the lab," Caroline admits when Tamsin presses her for information. "After that embarrassing failure, all paranormal research was scrapped, and everyone who worked on that project were transferred out of Riverblossom Hills."

"There must be some records of their work, research notes and such," Tamsin says.

"Anything that was destroyed would be highly classified. I'm just a lab tech, Tam. If were to start nosing around, asking questions about it, I could lose my job. I'm sorry, I really can't help you."

Her failure to find the answer just makes her more determined to solve this problem. Her mind is always working on it even when she's engaged in other activities, and she'll sometimes stop in mid conversation to puzzle out a new idea pushed forward from her subconscious.

Research has provided nothing, so Tamsin tries direct experimentation. So far she's come up with some mood enhancing cocktails and an extremely strong diuretic, but nothing that would be of use to Rory.

And some things she come up with are just plain explosive.

Late at night, Autumn is awakened by the familiar sound of Chinese music coming from the living room. Familiar, because Chinese music was Darius' favorite, and he always had it playing while working in the studio. So it's no great surprise to find his ghost is responsible for the music now.

"I miss you, Darius," she sighs, "I hate living without you."

"Don't be in such a hurry to join me, my love," Darius answers, "Enjoy your life, enjoy our children and grandchildren. Do we have more grandchildren yet?"

"Julia and Beau have a son now," Autumn answers, "His name is Tate. And Julian and his wife are expecting."

Darius smiles at the news.

Despite her preoccupation with fixing Rory's problem, Tamsin makes time for Rex, and their prom.

But the morning after prom finds her right back in problem solving mode.

Autumn doesn't have to wait much longer to join her husband. She greets Grim like an old friend, and goes with him readily.

Darryl couldn't bear to bury his parents in the cemetery, and decided to keep their urns in the house, close to the family.

Despite her mourning, Tamsin meets Rex for their Saturday bug and rock collecting date at the beach.

Rex's mother Anastasia, who was nearly as old as Autumn,  has also passed away.

The teens cry together for a bit, and then force themselves into brighter moods for their date. Rex brings Tamsin to a spot near the beach that's excellent for finding interesting stones and metal deposits, and a variety of insect life. The place looks like an abandoned dig site, and Rex tells her stories he's read of archeological teams that have gone missing while exploring ancient ruined temples.

When his story is over, the couple stands gazing at each other, silent.

"I want us to be like this forever," Tamsin says. "Do you want to catch that moth?"

"Moth?" Rex asked, distracted by her previous statement.

"No, let the moth go," Rex says, "Let's go back to that bit about being together forever."

On Sunday Tamsin decides to talk with another of MorcuCrop's employees, Tomas Enmity, the Simbot her mother created and released.

"You are one of the creator's flesh-daughters," Tomas greets her outside his home. "I am pleased to meet you, sister."

Tamsin gets right to the point, and asks Tomas for help with her paranormal research.

Tomas doesn't have much, or in fact, any, respect for what he calls pseudo-science. And while he's very friendly and polite to Tamsin, it's immediately clear he isn't going to be of any help.

It also becomes clear that the Simbot longs for some connection to his 'family', and his 'flesh-sister' is happy to oblige that need, accepting his request for a pillow fight, and a promise to visit more often.

Later that afternoon, Tamsin gets into some gaming with her father.

"Graduation is getting close," he reminds her, "Have you thought about what you'll do for a living? You seem very interested in the sciences. You could talk to Caroline about getting a job at MorcuCrop."

"I am interested in science," Tamsin says, "But I'm not sure MorcuCrop is the place for me." Tamsin had thought about getting a job at MorcuCrop as a way to get at the research that made Rory a day-walking ghost, but she doubts a new hire would be able to hold of such tightly classified information, she would have to work herself high up the chain to get that kind of clearance. And the company's attitude toward the kind of research she wants to do makes it pretty unlikely she'd enjoy her career there.

__________________________________________________________
Challenge Notes:
Tamsin's birthday will happen next time I play. Rex is a day older.
Tamsin's traits so far are Brave, Eccentric, Genius and Daredevil.
Rex is Bookworm, Lucky, Computer Whiz, Childish and Clumsy. The poor guy wants to be a professional author. But he's going to be a Collector.
Rex's mother had green skin. So I think there is some chance Rex can pas green skin on to his children. The green skin does seem to be dying out, currently the only living Sim with it is Rex's  cousin Dewey Greenman. Unless I'm forgetting someone. All the greenskinned Sims descend from Rose Greenman. For those that never played Sims 2 Seasons ep, the supernatural in the ep was the Plantsim, and Riverblossom Hills (Sims 2 version) had two plantsims in the neighborhood, Rose Greenman and her toddler daughter Daisy. Rose's husband Jason was a normal human. Kiwi Tea's S3 version also had the Greenman family, but obviously not really plantsims. Just green-skinned and greenhaired. And I'm sure they had appropriate traits like Loves the Outdoors, etc. The green hair has already died out.
However, I recently got a new SP immigrant to the town with green skin. Which is odd as there are none in my bin. So perhaps it pulls genes from the town itself?
Rex is also descended from Muriel Peynter, one of the original inhabitants of the town. I like to keep note of town genealogy.

16 comments:

  1. I was going to point out Anastasia's skin and ask if she was a zombie. Thanks for ruining my dreams of sims coming back from the grave as zombies. < / 3

    I'd already forgotten about Tomas! I feel so horrible! Tamsin's generation is shaping up to be pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No zombies for you!
    Don't feel bad about forgetting about Tomas. I introduced him to the story in a kind of offhand way and didn't mention him again, so that's my fault. But we should be seeing more of him in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fine then. I shall go make my OWN zombies.

    ... Actually. Thats not a bad idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like Tomas's house. I said that once, but blogger seems to have eaten my comment.

    I also LOVE the Enmity house. x.x

    I may have to download one of your houses for my next legacy to live in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tomas' house came with Riverblossom Hills, it originally belonged to this crazy inventor woman, Professor Von Threadneedle. The sad thing about that house is that it's only got living space for one, so no one lives in it for long. If they marry, or as in Tomas' case adopt a child, they immediately move out. And I hate to renovate it, it's such a great house.

    My houses on MTS all date to base game, and I used a lot of stair recolors which you needed before WA. So they tend to need refurbishing if you want to avoid DLing useless stairs. But I still use them, Caroline moved into one of my old houses I refurbished for her.
    The Enmity house is a SV valley house I refurbished for the family. I'd be more than happy to build a custom house for your legacy if you want. Just let me know what style you're interested in and how many rooms, budget, etc.
    I'm currently building something really awesome for my Awesome requirement. A community lot. But I'll say no more than that until the big reveal, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Noooo, not Autumn!! All the dying is so sad.

    But I'm really liking Tasmin. I love that she's a little smartie who wants to do good things. =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is sad to see your Sims die. But Autumn was like 110 days old when she died, so she lasted longer than most.
    I'm glad you like Tamsin, I like her a lot myself. :D
    I've also felt kind of bad about Rory McGreggor for some time now. SP is constantly hooking him up with all the widows in town, he marries them and they die two days later. That has to suck for him.
    So I'm using Tamsin to fix his problem. :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. You have such an amazing memory when it comes to your town and it's history. Do you write it all down somewhere and use it as a reference book? =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, no I just have a weird kind of memory, I retain really trivial details about fictional worlds, but can't remember why I got up to go to the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's such a sweet offer, Calisims. <3 I'd feel bad making you do extra work, though.

    Looking forward to how you fulfill your awesome requirement! =D

    ReplyDelete
  11. Don't feel bad, I like building houses.

    ReplyDelete
  12. *blush* Hmmm... I tend to find myself needing a good sized nursery, and about 4 bedrooms. An artist/craftperson studio is always needed too, that or one of the 4 bedrooms could be converted. Plus space for a car and bike rack.

    I like the open-ish kitchens because it makes it easier for sims to move around. As for styles, I'm not too familiar with all the different housing styles there are. *embarrassment* I know that I'm personally into nature and cozy cottage sort of places, but I'm also into modern and science-y looking things. You always do such a wonderful job with houses, I don't think I would mind what style you choose. I'd say "something that fits Barnacle Bay" or "something that reflects the eccentricity of Wren's family," but I guess that's kinda vague. Anything would be better than the hideous box structures I tend to build. x.x

    Since Mimi added the new option to move houses whenever we want, it doesn't have to fit the budget of a brand new family. I could move the new legacy family into the home when they work up enough money. ^.^ Though if it's super affordable, that's great too. You could always leave the furnishings extremely sparse and cheap, to be improved later. Over the course of the legacy things tend to change a lot, so I'm mainly looking for a good structure I could work with without messing it up.

    I'm probably going to use 617 Trawler Cliffs (30x30), or 10 Porthilly View (40x40). I'm so bad at this, I'm not sure if 30x30 is too small for a legacy or not. I like the 30x30 lot location better, but I know I'm not going to use basements so the 40x40 lot might be more appropriate. Both are beside the ocean. =)

    Is... is that too vague? Thoughts?

    I'm still in the process of remaking Barnacle Bay to fit my needs. I really want to add your Cabinet of Curiosities and Little Wilderness Park, but I haven't downloaded them yet.

    I'm also seeing if I can add some of the Bridgeport combination buildings. This is all very trial and error for me, because it's something I really haven't done before.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I personally find 30x30 is a good size, but 40x40 gives you more space for graves and firetrucks, lol.
    I think something in the spirit of Frank Lloyd Wright would fit your style. It's both modern and natural. I'll check out those two lots in BB you are looking at and see what fits.
    When I played BB I used the Bridgeport Public Services combo building in place of City Hall (You need to jigger around with the foundation there to make it fit. Also, move objects on to place it. and I used the combo restaurant/business bldg in place of the current business building. That freed up a lot of space for placing LN stuff. I also moved some of the other rabbitholes together, like I put the bookstore on three same lot as the theater. They are all currently one RH on a 30x30 and you can usually get 2 on a 30x30.
    My Little Wilderness Park may not work anymore. To make the waterfall effect, I had to use a glitch that EA fixed in a patch (That glitch was very popular with builders, so of course EA 'fixed' it so it broke our lots.) I haven't tested it in a post WA game, so I have no idea if it still works.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw, sad. The little gazebo is so adorable.

    I didn't even think about using the buildings themselves like that. Wow I'm silly! I went and copied the entire public services LOT and threw it out there in the field where the military base used to be. Then the pigeons did not appear, and I was all mad, then I found this: http://ironseagull.blogspot.com/2010/11/sims-3-tutorial-how-to-place-your-own.html

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Here's a list of other effects you can get from the fog emitter.
    It includes a cool waterfall effect. So maybe I should see if I can't fix my little park with a proper waterfall. :D
    Now that I've finished my 'awesome' I have time and the urge to build stuff, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It would help if I posted the link:
    http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?t=405544&highlight=fog+emitter

    ReplyDelete