Monday, June 27, 2011

Chapter 29: Gem Quest

Rex's casual collecting had become something of an obsession since opening his museum, and he soon found that the local rocks and insects were no longer enough. He and Tamsin set off for China to find more exotic items to display in the museum. Of course, the trip was not all business.

The couple spent some time at the academy practicing martial arts.

At night they camped out in the hillsides overlooking the Forbidden City.

The trip was as much a honeymoon as a quest for new museum pieces.

Tamsin did some excavating by the local cemetery.

As a child, Tamsin had enjoyed the school field trips to the mausoleum, so she decides to explore the catacombs.

Nothing like this ever happened to her at home.

Rex got good enough in his martial practice that a local challenged him to a sparring match. Tamsin watches from a safe distance, cringing every time Maya kicks her foot in the direction of Rex's crotch.

Her husband moves gracefully, and Tamsin finds herself turned on watching him spar.

That night they rock the tent until dawn.

They return to Riverblossom Hills with new gems, metals and insects for the museum, as well as a fine set of relics for their home.

Rex gets a new tattoo to commemorate their trip.

And it turns out they've brought home an unexpected souvenir from their travels. Tamsin and Rex are going to be parents.

Rex keeps up with his martial arts practice. Still suffering from writer's block, he vents his frustration by kicking the wooden practice dummy.


Tamsin and Rex have a son, Sheridan. Rex is thrilled to be a father, but at the same time, he'd expected to have at least a couple novels under his belt before he had his first child. He's fallen behind his dreams and can't get the inspiration to catch up to them.

Tamsin got into the Ghost Hunting profession to help Rory McGreggor. Now that she's succeeded in her goal, she decides to keep working at it. She's upgraded hr banshee banisher to be more efficient, and built a spirit positioning device to help locate spirits. And the ghosts she helps to move on out of this plane seem genuinely grateful for her aid.

______________________________________________________
Challenge Notes:
So, I've chosen Rex as the tattoo addict, obviously.
It's been 5 generations, and I just needed to go to China. After a whole generation + plus listening to Darius' Chinese music station non-stop (I love Chinese music, myself. Though my favorite is Indian, not represented in Sim world, lol), the urge to travel was just too strong. And it's great opportunity to get more gems and stuff for the museum. I'll probably visit the other locations as well, though I'm not doing tombs or adventures. Well, Rex did do an 'adventure' his sparring match was from a call he got asking him to spar twice with Maya Wang. Rex won both matches. Then he got the opportunity to reach level 5 in martial arts and meditate in the scholar's garden for 2 hours. After that will come a request to do the Resolute Fist Retreat tomb. Haven't decided if I'll do it. If I do, I'll stop after that, leaving Pangu's Axe and stuff for any future rolled adventurer career. All my vases and relics were found digging in excavation sites, not tomb exploring or shopping. Thanks to Buzzler for the dig site fix mod.

Tamsin has reached level 10 of the ghost hunting career, which was also her LTW.
Rex is still working on his LTW, max Athletic and Logic. He's got to level 7 in Athletic, mostly from jogging around the town collecting gems, etc. The Logic is going a little slower. He's a computer Whiz, so I have him spend a few hours every night playing chess on the PC.

Corinne still needs to sell around 14k worth of inventions to max her career. She's 96 days old, so she may not make it. She has made 2 invention gnomes.

Roll for Generation 6 is Single Parent, 1 child, Crime/Thief career. Goal is Hobby/Obsession and Misc Fun will be Fighter. So that's mostly all new rolls for me. I've done single parent, one child before, but not the others. I've never actually taken a Crime career Sim to maximum before, Nothing against that job, I just moved on from those Sims before I finished their careers.
I rolled first child as heir, so it's Sheridan.

8 comments:

  1. AT LAST! A THIEF! (Sorry. I jave a soft spot for evil characters. Thief is the next best thing.)

    I know what you mean about the temptation to travel... its insane! I love the dragon tattoo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great update! And thieves don't have to be evil. ;) Your next generation sounds very exciting.

    I also love the tattoo. I should look into extra tattoo CC if I ever roll it again.

    I think Xue was a clone of Maya. xD

    Love the last pic, with the ghost giving Tamsin a friendly greeting. That's adorable.

    Also OMG the gnome graves. ;.;

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been really nervous about traveling, hearing all kinds of horror stories with bugs and things, I'm glad to see your Sims made it safely. Though I guess there's nothing stopping you if you save right before you go... =)

    That Rex sure is a cutie! I'm sure Sheridan will be as well!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I prefer more nuanced characters, being a thief and a fighter might make Sheridan dark and troubled, but I doubt I'd go for 'evil', which is a little too broad for my style.

    I couldn't do tattoo addict again without better tattoos. Finding good tattoo CC is difficult, especially as pre-Ambitions, a lot of tattoos were made as make up. I don't want tattoos in my make up category. I'm not having the age problem with my tattoos; maybe because I'm using Twallan's MC integration mod with the additional tattoo placement areas.

    Yeah, I've gotten a lot of gnomes from fishing, mining and exploring catacombs. I've had two baby gnomes. And they grow old and die, so I have a little gnome graveyard. ;.;

    I definitely made a back up before traveling so if it went all screwy, I could go back to the point before they left. So far, so good. I did have an issue with Tamsin's pregnancy. While in China, we tried for baby and got the chimes, but she was not pregnant when we got home. Of course re-impregnating when back at home was not a problem for Rex and Tamsin. That could be a problem though if you are trying a multi-culltural single parent roll. Luckily there is master controller for those situations.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, here's a link to the site where I got Rex's dragon tattoo. They have a decent selection of custom tats:
    http://www.skysims2.com/skysims3/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=63&Itemid=37&lang=en

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh. *downloads the owl*

    *shifty eyes*

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm back... I missed so much things lol, but your family is lovely. Tasmin is beautiful, and I wait to see how you will manage with your thief

    ReplyDelete
  8. mimi! It's so great to see you again, I missed you!
    I've already got some ideas for my thief/fighter/single parent. But that has to wait, he's just a toddler now, lol.

    ReplyDelete