Monday, July 18, 2011

Chapter 43: Violently Happy

Sheridan shows up early in the morning to check up on Thessaly and her boyfriend after their first night alone together.

"Oh, hi, Dad," Thessaly greets her father, surprised to see him. If he had called first, he might have been spared the sight of his adult daughter parading around the house in her lingerie.

They don't have much time for a visit; it's graduation day. Thessaly is voted most likely to burn her own house down.

Archer is voted most likely to be a rock star. He does love his guitar, but he never had any intention of pursuing a career in music. Or pursuing any kind of career, really. If you can afford to live without having to work, why would you even consider it?

Thessaly's first science fiction novel, 'Cracked Worlds' sold well, so she's working on a sequel, 'The Vacant Worlds'. But, like Archer's guitar playing, Thessaly's writing is primarily for her own pleasure, and she only devotes as much time to it as she feels like.

What they both enjoy most, apart from each other's company, is going out dancing.

While they are out at Cathedral, they run into Demond and Tennille, expecting another child. While Thessaly coos over Tennille's belly, Archer explains to his father why he hasn't taken up a career.

"A job would take too much of the time I need for my music," he says.

Demond is surprisingly tolerant of his son's slacker attitude, "Do what makes you happy, son," he advises, "You only have one life, so live it well."

Thessaly takes Demond aside for a private conversation when she gets the chance. "I just you to know how much I love your son, " she says.

"You're asking me for his hand in marriage? I am truly touched," Demond says.

"Your father is my closest associate, and a very dear friend. I'm overjoyed to have our families united," the vampire continues.

Demond read way more into Thessaly's confession than she intended, but she's still glad Riley's father approves of their relationship.

The young couple get home after the club closes and flop down into bed.

"My father says he gave us his blessing," Riley says as he unlaces her boots.

"Oh, yeah," Thessaly says, "He kind of misinterpreted something I said and took over the conversation."

Riley laughs, "He does that. But you know he's going to be severely disappointed if you don't marry me now."

"I could never disappoint Demond, " Thessaly says, with a teasing smile, "His sad face would break my heart, I'm sure."


Another day of no work and all play for Thessaly and Riley.

But their games have different endings than they did when they were children.

The couple tried to work with their parents' schedules to plan a wedding party, but they couldn't find an evening where Demond didn't have a game that both Sheridan and Chanda were also available.
Thessaly and Riley's tight relationship since childhood had kept them at a distance from their schoolmates, and neither had any other truly close friends, so they decided to give up on a party and just have a private wedding.

Archer officially changed his name to Riley Enmity. The name Archer came with him from a past he cannot remember. He's given up trying to remember, and no longer cares where he came from. The only important thing is his future with Thessaly, and the name she calls him, Riley, is his true name, the only one he needs.

The private ceremony made the transition into their honeymoon that much easier.

Thessaly put her father's gym equipment in storage and brought back in the easels and Darius Enmity's sculpting tools, so that she and Riley can pursue their artistic interests.

Later, they dress up for a night of clubbing.


Neither of them are very good at keeping track of time, and they arrive at Cog just before closing, with only time to have one drink before they are kicked out  for the night.


So they continue their partying at home.

With a sharp groan, Thessaly suddenly bolts past him toward the bathroom.

Riley rushes in to check on her.

"Do you need me to hold your hair back?"

"You only had one drink," Riley says, "Do you think it was that, what did you call it? Stu surprise you made for dinner?"

Thessaly rolls her eyes, "Try option three."



"Option three?' Riley asks, "Oh...oh." Elated, he embraces his wife.

"Are we ready for children?" Thessaly asks, nervous.

"Sure we are," Riley answers, confident.

Another bout of morning sickness confirms it, Thessaly is pregnant.

Followed immediately by a craving for leftover sushi.

Thessaly insists she's feeling well enough to go to their former classmate Josie's party. Not surprising, it's an incredibly dull party, but as long as there's music, Riley and Thessaly can dance.

"Poor Josie, she eating mac'n'cheese all by herself at her own party," Thessaly remarks.

"Do you want to join her?" Riley asks.

The thought of the the bright orange cheese goo brings on another wave of nausea. "No, I want to go home," she says.

Everything feels too tight, everything aches. Thessaly puts on her most comfortable clothes and Riley tries to take care of the achiness.

Darius is out tonight, and is thrilled to be the first to learn of his descendant's pregnancy.

Riley reads up on parenting, completely unfazed by his wife's conversation with her dead ancestor. Like vampires, ghosts seem familiar and comforting to him.


________________________________________________
Challenge Notes:
I'm overdoing the Fashion Diva requirement. Thessaly has casual outfits for regular wear, for working in the studio, and a clubbing outfit (separate from her formal clubbing outfits). So she's been changing clothes more than once a week. Although Riley isn't required to be part of the Fashion Diva thing, I'm making him change outfits a lot too. He also has regular casual and night club casual, as well as formal night club outfits. (I feel like I'm talking about Barbie & Ken now)

I haven't done the property mogul yet, though I can afford it. I haven't decided what properties I'll buy yet.

I'm mostly blowing off my careers in favor of slacking. Thessaly is registered as an author, and has written a few books. Riley has not gotten a band together. I think about doing it, but there isn't anyone in town I want to have in a band.
So, what I'm doing with them is going with what wishes they roll. When Thessaly rolls wishes to write, she writes. When she wishes to sculpt or paint, she does that. Same with Riley.
He has earned enough points to change LTW, so it's now "Master of Arts' (max guitar and painting)
I waited for them to roll wishes to get married to have a wedding, and waited for them to roll have baby wishes to try for baby.

7 comments:

  1. So, you're planning on making the purple highlights genetic? Because that would be cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Demond's so cute! I love how he interpreted everything as asking for his blessing. XD

    Can't wait to see what Thessaly and Riley's kid looks like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys!
    I love Demond. I was so happy when he showed up at the club. :D
    I still haven't decided about the purple highlights being genetic. If the kid gets Thessaly's hair as it is, I might change it to basic black. Or I might not. I'm hoping for a red-haired kid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great update! I love all their outfits. Sounds like you're having a very fun generation.

    When I try to have my sims live off their wishes, they refuse to roll any. o.o

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks!
    I'm actually having that problem with Riley, he's not rolling many wishes. Which is too bad because he could use the points. But he will get a couple wishes a day I can work with.
    I am enjoying the fashion diva thing, and playing dress up. I keep trying to change Thessaly's hairstyle, but none of them look as good as the one she has.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fashion Diva would probably be a wasted roll on me, as I tend to change their outfits for every "scene" as it is. I'm glad you're having fun with that one!

    I wouldn't mind seeing a few more redheads in your legacy!! Haha

    The way you're playing this generation made me think of something - off to the forum I go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fashion Diva is perfect for me because I almost never change their outfits. So it's been fun creating new outfits all the time.

    I LOVE redheads! I'm a natural brunette, but at various points in my life, I've dyed my hair various shades os red (and pink, and purple...)
    Although I rolled for an heir (third child), I might break that optional rule to get a redheaded heir if I have to.

    ReplyDelete