Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Chapter 40: But what you chase at night will haunt you in the day

For Chanda's sake, Sheridan is seriously considering giving up crime and going straight. He just hasn't talked to his partner about it yet.

While they hang out and watch the game, Demond starts concocting a new plan. This would be the perfect time for Sheridan to broach the subject of retirement, but he doesn't. Demond's plans are always brilliant, and there is nothing like the rush of getting past an elaborate security system to make off with something locked away and guarded carefully. One more job, Sheridan thinks, then I'll quit.

Chanda doesn't bring up the subject of his retirement when they meet at Cathedral for a date, but she seems happier, more at ease. He knows she has doubts about his ability to give up his criminal career, and he wants to prove her wrong. After tomorrow, after one last job.

One of these days, Sheridan is going to seriously hurt one of these nosy jerks with the cameras. But not tonight, he's not going to mess up his new shirt.

Plus, he's in a hurry to show Chanda how fast his new Beretti goes.

It's almost like the way it was before she found out about his criminal activities, she doesn't hesitate or hold back. If he doesn't come through for her, he'll lose the trust he's managed to regain.

Chanda checks herself out in the mirror before following Sheridan to bed. She's still got it, and hops she can hold on to it.

"Happy Birthday, Riley!" she shouts, waking him early before school. Archer spent the night at her house again, which he does whenever his adoptive father is out with her father.

"Happy Birthday, Thessaly," he answers, softer but with no less enthusiasm.

She chases him downstairs with a pillow, and they have an epic battle before school starts.

"Wait, I'm getting something," he says, dropping the pillow. Sometimes he gets flashes, glimpses of his life before Demond found him. But they are all brief, confused images that don't tell him the story of his life before.

"Mummies," he says, wishing he could remember more, and more clearly.

Thessaly worries about her friend.

After school, they have a joint birthday party. Thessaly gets her cake first.

And she becomes a teen.

Archer's turn is next.

And Archer becomes a teen. Behind him, Chanda notices one of Sheridan's associates, Tracey Gifford, aka, the 'Empress of Evil'. She had hoped Sheridan would be giving up such associations along with his career, and she sincerely hopes this skank isn't a frequent guest in this house.

Demond knows he'll pay later for eating the cake now, but it's his adoptive son's birthday, and he wants to partake in the celebration.

After cake, Sheridan and Demond step aside for a private conversation.

"Tenille is pregnant," Demond announces, "I'm going to be a father, again." He's also a great-grandfather, as his grandson Brannon is now the father of two children.

"Congratulations?" Sheridan offers, doubtfully.

"I wanted this," Demond says, "Wanted another family. I was young when I marred Sundari, younger than you are now. I hadn't yet experienced loss; my human mother was even still alive that long ago. When Sundari started aging, approaching death, I closed myself off, and I've stayed closed. I didn't want to experience that pain. But it's not just pain I've shut out it, it's everything, love, joy. I've finally grown tired of the prison I built around myself, and I'm experiencing life again."

"So, are you getting married?"

Demond glares, "She won't marry me."

"Is it the vampire thing or the criminal thing?" Sheridan asks.

"Crime. Just as with your Chanda."

"Have you thought about quitting?" Sheridan asks. It would certainly be easier for him if he and his partner could fold at the same time.

"Quit?" Demond asks, as though Sheridan suggested he stop drinking plasma.

"We're both incredibly wealthy men, we don't have to this," Sheridan says.

"You know it's not about the money," Demond scoffs, "I know you feel the same excitement I feel when we're out on a job."

"Yeah," Sheridan admits, reluctant to leave that behind himself, "There's really nothing like it. But that thrill is what's standing in the way of our true happiness." Sheridan knits his brow, disturbed,  "That sounded exactly like my Dad."

"I have a lot of respect for your father," Demond says, "You've been thinking about getting out yourself, haven't you? For Chanda?"  Sheridan nods. Demond sighs, "When I hired you, I had no idea how much you were going to change my life. And what do you propose we do with ourselves if we give up our work?"

"I have no idea," Sheridan answers, "But I'm sure you'll think of something."

Thessaly and Archer ditch their own party to hang outside.

"Tess?" Archer begins.

"Riley?" Thessaly answers back, smiling.

He wishes she would hit him with a pillow or something. Then they would laugh, and he could kiss her. But this, this is just too awkward, and he doesn't know where to begin.

Thessaly doesn't wait for him to make the first move.

It's a good thing she didn't wait, because they barely have a moment together before his father is calling, telling him it's time to go home.

"See you tomorrow, Riley," she calls out as he runs off.


____________________________________________________
Challenge Notes:
Title is a Kristin Hersh lyric.

4 comments:

  1. D'aaaaw Riley. They're both so cute! I take it he's going to be her future spouse? Sure hope so. I love the backstory you've made for him.

    And of course Demond is just a fascinating character. I'm really liking him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sheridan is going through a midlife crisis, eh? ;)

    Great chapter!

    *hugs Rex*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, Thessaly is gorgeous! And Archer could be a Weasley twin. =). So cute!!

    The Demond/Sheridan story is great, loving every moment!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, guys. :D
    Yeah, I'm planning on marrying Thessaly and Archer.
    Sheridan is still actually YA (two days from the next birthday) so he's not having an EA induced mid life crisis. But I do have exhibiting symptoms of one. His daughter is growing up and he's taking stock of his life.
    Rex is just going on and on. I've always read that the reward for doing all that running (the one that promises a long life) never really does anything, but Rex is certainly acting like it does.
    Thessaly is pretty much identical to Tamsin except for the hair. She did get Chanda's rail thin, small-breasted body.
    I really love Demond. I'm waiting to see if SP marries him to Tenille, who will be having his child any day now. She's already an adult, so if he does marry her, he won't have her for very long. He's like 20 days away from adulthood himself.

    ReplyDelete