Friday, May 20, 2011

Chapter 8: You Get Burned, You Get Cold

Morty Roth has died. Sandra invites Foster to the Roth mansion after her father's funeral.

"My father reinstated me in his will before he passed," Sandra confides, "But there's a catch."

"A catch?" Foster asks.

"My brother and I both get a chunk of the family fortune, but the estate itself goes to whoever produces a Roth heir first."

"Well, you've won that contest already," Foster says, "You have a son."

Sandra shakes her head, "It has to be a Roth. Born in the estate. Our lawyer says Dante doesn't count." Sandra hadn't wanted to talk to her family's lawyer about her illegitimate son, but the wording in her father's will indicated he knew about Dante and was purposely cutting him out, punishing the boy for his mother's actions. The lawyer confirmed Sandra's suspicion. "We need to have another child before Xander knocks up his girlfriend."

Sandra doesn't want to waste any more time, and leads Foster up to her bedroom.

"You're sure about this?' Foster asks, "You're in the spotlight all the time now, you won't be able to hide a pregnancy from the paparazzi."

"Our careers are pretty well established now," she answers, pulling him onto her bed, "And I have to secure my estate. I won't let Xander take it from me."

Jasmin makes mac and cheese for herself and her brothers for dinner. Her father and Carey are out for the evening, which is not unusual. Gibson's absence is, however. He didn't come home from school with them today, and it's getting close to town curfew time. Jasmin can't help but fear her rejection has pushed him away from her forever. Maybe she was wrong, maybe they could be together without it destroying their friendship. She wishes he were here to talk with her about it.

Gibson went home with Brie Frye that day. He'd spent the better part of his high school existence pining for Jasmin, and no other girls could get his attention. He'd held that torch so long, it set him on fire. The kiss he finally shared with her was a conflagration. The cold water of her rejection was painful, shocking, but Gibson is glad they got it over with. Now he can move on, be with other girls. He'll never burn for anyone the way he did for Jasmin, but that, he thinks, is probably a good thing.

Carey comes home before Gibson tonight and jams with Jasmin. Musically, Carey has been a real mentor to Jasmin. She wouldn't tell her father this, but Carey is her favorite guitarist and songwriter, even though he's never cut an album.

 Foster pops in after they finished their jam. "You sound great, Jasmin," he says, "You're the only one of my kids who takes after me. Talent-wise. I'm proud of you."

Jasmin smiles and doesn't mention the influence Carey has had on her developing talent. She loves her father, despite his many, many faults, and knows his fragile ego couldn't take the truth. While she's talking with her father, she hears Gibson come in, just making it home before curfew. He shuts himself into his bedroom before Jasmin gets a chance to ask him where he's been.

The next day at school, Jasmin learns from Brie Frye, her classmate, what Gibson was doing after school yesterday. Brie is positively elated and shares every detail of her date with Gibson with the whole class. For Jasmin, every word was a slap, a sting, a barb. Yes, she rejected him, so he had every right to go out without someone else, but the fact the he made that transition so easily is what hurts. Jasmin can still taste his kiss, and she's in no hurry to find a replacement for him. Maybe she was right then, getting into a romance with him would only end badly, and destroy their friendship in the process.

After school, she finally gets her chance to talk to him. "So you were with Brie yesterday," Jasmin opens the conversation.

"Yeah, I heard she told everyone," Gibson laughs, "I hope she didn't say anything bad."

"No, she seems kind of crazy about you," Jasmin admits. "She's not good enough for you, though, Gibson. She's kind of shallow."

Gibson shrugs, "Maybe you overestimate me, Jas, maybe I'm not who you think I am." Maybe I could have been with a better girl, he thinks bitterly, if she hadn't thrown a cold wet blanket over me.

Jasmin recoils, reminds herself that she had her chance, and pushed him away. "Gibson, I just need to know we're okay. That we're still friends," she says quietly.

Gisbon sits quietly for a moment, gathering his thoughts. There's so much he could say, but she told him yesterday he wasn't speak to her about the kiss they shared, about the romance they sparked and extinguished. "Jasmin, I will always be your friend, no matter what. Nothing could ever change that. Not even...anything."

Dante has a birthday. No one notices.

Roslyn asked Carey to come by her house (she's moved in with Rory after a fight with one of her roommates) because she has something important to tell him.

"I got in touch with Juston's - my husband's - lawyer. We're getting a divorce," she tells him.

"That's great," Carey says, trying not to get his hopes up. Back when first suggested they get married, she told him even if she didn't have a husband already, she wasn't ready to tie herself down again, and he can't just assume she's looking to get married again right after her divorce.

"Yeah," Roslyn sighs, "I thought it didn't matter if I was legally married or not, as long as I was on my own. But I actually feel a lot freer now that the divorce proceedings are underway."

Carey repeats his initial response, saying again how great this is for her, wondering what, if anything, it will mean for him.

Roslyn twists her hair and shifts her weight from side to side nervously, "Listen, Carey, if you're still interested in you know, getting married...I mean, I know our son is just about grown now so I'd understand if you're not..."

Carey drops instantly to his knee and produces the ring he's been carrying around with him since Roslyn got pregnant.

Roslyn jumps into his arms. "I'm so glad you haven't changed your mind," she says, "I was so stupid to make you wait. As soon as my divorce is finalized, we can be married."

"Grats, man," Rory says. "There's room here for you if you want to move in with us."

After some discussion, the couple decides they'll live here with Rory once they've married instead of having Roslyn move into the house Carey currently shares with Foster. Gisson will have graduated by the time Roslyn's divorce is final, so Carey will give him his share of the house, and move on to a new life.

Though he's fathered three kids already, this is the first time foster has experienced the pregnancy.

He and Sandra are being unabashedly public about their relationship and the paparazzi are all over it.

Carey informs Foster about his marriage plans.

"You're leaving me?" Foster asks, "I can't believe you'd put a girl over our friendship."

Carey laughs, "Only you would see it like that."

Gibson spends his last night before graduation with Brie Frye at the Reserve Tavern.

The try the tavern's specialty house drink, the Shillelagh.

"It needs more whiskey," Gibson says.

"There's no whiskey in this drink," Brie answers, "Not in the version they serve to minors, anyway."

"Right. It needs more," Gibson answers, "I could do better."

It's birthday time for Parker and Gibson.

Parker becomes a man.

Gibson's turn is next.


With both boys grown, it becomes time to say goodbyes. Parker will be moving in with his girlfriend Haley, who he intends to marry right away, as he always planned.

Foster wasn't to thrilled to have a jock for a son, but at least there's the consolation of knowing that his jock son will one day be a sports superstar, as famous in his field as Foster is in his.

"You would be welcome to move in with me and your mother," Carey says.

"Thaks, Dad," Gibson answers, "But I like it here. I'm glad you and Mom are finally doing this."

Foster has still not gotten over the fact that Carey is moving out to get married. "How will I manage without you?" he protests, "I can't handle all these kids by myself!"

"The 'kids' are mostly grown now. Gibson will be here to help you," Carey answers, "Now man up and congratulate me."

"No!" Foster pouts, "I'm too pissed at you!"


Then Foster relents, "We've been together forever, man. I'm going to miss you."

"I'll be right around the corner."


Parker jogs over to Haley's house, anxious to begin a new family. A real one this time.

Carey also leaves, moving in with Roslyn and Rory.

Gibson discovers that mixology is not as easy as he assumed, and he'll need some practice before he can mix a better Shillelagh than the one served at the Reserve Tavern.

Jasmin is writing a song about him, about their one kiss and her unspoken feelings. For now, there are no lyrics. Words would be too revealing.

Challenge Notes:
The title of this chapter comes from the Lyrics of 'Mississippi Kite' by Kristin Hersh.
I've been listening to this album a lot lately, and Kristin is one of my favorite singer/songwriters.

Technically with the 'single with help' roll, the 'help' isn't supposed to be able to leave until the heir reaches YA. But I rolled single with help for generation 2 as well, and the 'help', Gibson, has become YA, so I figured it would be okay to let Carey go and live out his last few days before becoming an elder with Roslyn, since he still gets wishes to marry her every single day. I really hated letting him go, but at the same time, I'm happy he can finally get what he wants.
Carey did achieve his LTW, to max guitar and charisma, before leaving. Guitar was maxed ages ago. Charisma took longer, as, after taking the class in it on his first day, his only time skilling charisma was through interactions and skill opportunities that came up. He actually managed to reach level 6 in the band career just based on tips and the 3 official gigs his band played. He also reached 3 stars of celebrity, not that he cares about that.
And Gibson is now the official 'help'. His career will be mixologist. I've never done the moonlight as mixologist gig so that should be interesting. Or I might hate it, who knows. His LTW is Master Mixologist, to max the mixology skill and own a bar. Right now I can't afford to buy any of the bars in town. I hope I can afford one soon, because I have a feeling that will be Gibson's real source of income. I can't see manning a bar day after day as being incredibly fun to play, honestly.
Jasmin will be a YA in three days after Gibson's birthday. When she reaches YA, I will move Foster out with Sandra and their new baby (a girl, Isabella, she was born while the whole birthday thing was going on.)
So I have three days to make sure I have everything I need, because once Jasmin takes over, it's Living Green restriction time on the buy mode.

8 comments:

  1. ;.; Great story. I like the way you handled the adults moving out, as well as the romance drama.

    Poor Dante.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *squeals at sappy ending* How sweet, I love that Casey's marriage dreams finally came to be a reality :)
    Is Jasmin the heir? I can't remember, lol XD

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, guys.
    As the fourth child and non-heir, Dante does get the short end of the stick. Lucky for him he likes fishing and computers, so he's happy to be left alone at home without me finding crap for him to do.

    I felt so bad for Carey throughout, wanting to get married and not being able to let it happen. For both Jasmin (the heir) and Gibson (the help) I've given them both Commitment Issues so they won't be as sad for their ongoing single state. There will be a lot of heartbreak for them, though. That's my evil plan for them, anyway, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great update! I love the way Gibson looks as a young adult. It's sad that he has to be the help to be in Jasmin life...

    ReplyDelete
  5. omg do you share sims? I'd LOVE to have Gibson in my game.....and maybe sneak his genetics into my legacy if you don't mind XD

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Aevitas, I do share my Sims.
    A bunch of us who are doing Random Legacies made a blog to share our legacy Sims.
    Here's the link:
    http://rluploads.blogspot.com/
    Every post is for a different legacy, so just scroll down to get to the Enmity Legacy post, and Gibson is there. I think I saved him in Adult phase, but you can easily age him down when you get him in CAS to have YA Gibson.
    And I don't mind you using him and his genetics in your legacy. =D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you XD If I can ever get brave enough/good enough to come up with a good story and he joins my legacy I'll be sure you get a link XD

    ReplyDelete
  8. If you start a legacy, send me a link even if you don't use Gibson. =D

    ReplyDelete